Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Week One, Things One and Two

So far, I have just begun to explore the "23 things" tutorial, including the 7 1/2 habits of lifelong learning.

Even before I understood the term “lifelong learner”, I think I always knew I was one. I read voraciously as a child (still do!) and would make up “home work” assignments for myself over the summers. I love exploring new things, and particularly enjoy art classes and dance and movement classes.

Looking at the 7 ½ habits of lifelong learning, it was really obvious to me which was easiest for me, and which one causes me the most difficulty. I ALWAYS begin with the end in mind, setting goals and finding ways to work towards that ultimate end result. Sometimes, however, this strength becomes a weakness, since I fixate on the future and the goal and forget to look up on the journey.

The item I have the most difficulty with is viewing problems as challenges. I treat any setback or issue, no matter how minor, as earth-shattering. I do not often find value in problems, even though I know that I can overcome whatever I face, and that I always end up smarter/happier/wiser/whatever-er after moving through a difficult situation. I am trying to work on keeping things in perspective, and using the glass-half-full approach of viewing problems as challenges.

No comments:

Post a Comment