Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Week Four, Thing Eight

I think the RSS feed is a really great idea. I like that I can have the content I want without ads or the hassle of going from site to site to read it. I am ashamed to admit this as a teacher and a librarian, but I have never been much of a fan of print news, or news in general. I have only recently begun listening to NPR in the afternoons (I like"The World"), so being up to date on news matters is relatively new for me. I don't honestly know if I will utilize my bloglines account, given how hard it is for me to fit additional items into my schedule, but I am going to try to read it at least twice a week.

I think this would be a great technology to push on high school students, teaching them how to set up an account and requiring that they utilize it over the course of a semester or year long technology or social studies class. The combination of internet and news sources may appeal to teens more than picking up an old-fashioned print newspaper.

2 comments:

  1. Ha! Your comment about not reading the news made me laugh. I also have never been a big fan of reading the newspaper. When I check my mail on Yahoo!, I always get sucked in by one of the headlines, but that is about as far as it goes. RSS feeds seem like a great way to get a ton of information in a very short amount of time. The user saves time going from site to site and can instead scan through the new postings and pick and choose. Your blog is nicely put together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. having students keep a semester blog could be very educational

    ReplyDelete