Thursday, October 1, 2009

Week Five, Thing Eleven

For this activity I explored an "honorable mention" in the category of books, found here

Oh. My. Goodness. If I had found this site (had it existed) when I was a small child, I would have been in heaven! I used to pretend I owned a library, and I frequently counted, categorized, and made lists of the titles and authors that I owned (I remember being particularly proud that I had over 500 books in elementary school). Library Thing allows users to catalog their own personal collections of books. It's instant (no typing in MARC records, hooray!) since it pulls cataloging information from publishers and libraries all over the world.

Once you have added books, you can share your lists and cross reference with other users, making this a book club and library system rolled in to one.

1 comment:

  1. yes, I have my students use LibraryThing for their LA lit course. It would be a fun way to get kids to do reviews.

    ReplyDelete