Monday, November 2, 2009

Week Nine, Thing Twenty

I have enjoyed Youtube for entertainment purposes through most of my undergraduate studies (I have a minor obsession with performers like Gene Kelly and Frank Sinatra, and Youtube is the place to find great footage!)

I really liked the "introducing the book" video, and the "librarian manifesto" made some very good statements, but the video I want to share today deals with freedom to read and Banned Books Week.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLprbWMd8mM
This is a GREAT video, and is something I could really use with my students, despite the fact that Banned Books Week has already passed this year.

The only difficulty with using Youtube at least in my school district is that the site is blocked district wide, and will not generally be unblocked on a teacher to teacher basis. (My district is huge) My librarian uses video clips from TeacherTube frequently, and there are some good ones on there, too, but I would love to be able to use Youtube in my school at some point in the future.

On a more personal note, I have found my brother on Youtube multiple times (high school marching band skits and silly films), and I found a video from the late 90's that was shown at my high school on the weekly news that I never thought I'd see again. The possibilities of video sharing are endless!

No comments:

Post a Comment